Thanks to a facebook post from the ever fantastic Cassandra Wilson I’ve latched onto Harriet Tubman – the dynamic trio of Brandon Ross (who plays with Cassandra. Wadada Leo Smith…), the prolific Melvin Gibbs (Defunkt, Decoding Society, Punk Funk All stars…Black Rock Coalition) and the deep’n’funky drummer JT Lewis. Upon discovering they’d “doubled-up” their line up to mirror and embrace the spirit of Ornette’s ‘Free Jazz’ line up by recruiting turnatablists DJ Logic and DJ Singe along with living legend and trumpeter Ron Miles and recorded a new album entitled ‘Ascension’…which references Trane’s mind blowing Impulse classic… I had to step up and order a copy from the States! So, depending on transatlantic post (I think it still travels by boat!) expect a full blown account of this venture to drop in the next 2 or 3 weeks!
- Breakin’ Convention 018 meets Jazz Re: freshed
- ‘BEING BLACKER’: A radical encounter between BAFTA Winning film-maker MOLLY DINEEN and Brixton’s BLACKER DREAD
- Mali’s Trio Da Kali live in Stoke Newington Old Church
- TWO NIGHTS: CHICAGOXLONDON – International Anthem Meets London’s Nu-skool @ Total Refreshment Centre ….
- #SNC98 – Back On The Block but SOLD OUT! All gone!